Friday 9 February 2007

The Allotment Man Cometh


On 27th January 2007 I became the proud tenant of 120 square metres of London Borough of Richmond goodness.

All I had to do next was to:


  • Acquire a shed


  • Get some gardening tools


  • Learn something about growing fruit and vegetables


  • Do a lot of digging


  • Plant some green things


  • Wait


  • Eat


  • Er...


  • That's it, isn't it?

So far I have:



  • Been loaned the use of a shed or three whilst I get my own sorted out


  • Been loaned some gardening tools


  • Been promised some gardening tools of my own at the end of February


  • Been told by a friend, builder and fellow allotment holder that he is getting bits and pieces together to build my shed from


  • Learned very little about growing fruit and vegetables (though I can now say "Crop Rotation" with ease and confidence)


  • Done a lot of digging

Whilst totally unable to get The Who's "Now I'm a Farmer" out of my mind I am a proud, if somewhat daunted, man I can tell you!

No comments: